Under the supervision of the Operations Manager, this position performs tasks associated with roads maintenance and construction, including the operation, maintenance, and repair of tools, machinery & construction equipment. Duties also include a variety of potentially heavy manual labor activities including loading, hauling, digging, shoveling, climbing, and other minor maintenance activities.
Supervision Received and Exercised
Receives close supervision from Equipment Operator I, Operations Manager, or other supervisory staff as directed; Exercises no supervision.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform construction and maintenance tasks, such as digging, shoveling, raking, repairing potholes, road shoulder, and edge-work paving, trimming trees and brush, packing and watering roads, pouring concrete, removing and burying dead animals, loading and unloading trucks, cleaning culverts, and a variety of other minor maintenance activities for the Roads Department;
- Operate construction and maintenance equipment, such as Dump Trucks, Chainsaws, Mowers, Forklifts, Tractors, Brush hogs, Rollers, and other tools, equipment, & machinery for various construction and maintenance operations;
- Install street barricades and cones prior to the performance of street and road repair activities; direct and control traffic around work sites;
- Perform preventive and other maintenance on vehicles, equipment, and machinery, including changing and replenishing fluids as required;
- Inspect, diagnose, locate, and repair mechanical difficulties on District vehicles and equipment which will include a variety of gasoline and diesel-powered maintenance and construction equipment;
- Repair chainsaws, weed eaters, trimmers, blowers, edgers, mowers, pressure washers, and related parts and equipment;
- Transport equipment & materials used in the performance of District business from site to site, including:
- Pre-trip inspections per DOT regulations, IF APPLICABLE;
- Loading materials & equipment onto the truck;
- Ensuring that load is correctly placed and secured using ropes and chains as necessary, so as to avoid damage to the truck or materials;
- Cover the load with tarpaulin as necessary;
- Unloading materials & equipment from the truck.
Performs other job-related duties as directed by supervisor(s).
NOTE: The essential functions describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees holding this position. This is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all duties and responsibilities required, nor are all duties listed necessarily performed by anyone employee so classified.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Principles and practices of road construction and maintenance techniques;
- Principles and practices of maintaining a safe roadway;
- Practices, methods, materials, and tools used in general construction and maintenance work;
- Methods and use of tools & equipment necessary for tasks including brush cutting and tree trimming;
- Operations, functions, and activities of an equipment maintenance program;
- Procedures for preventive maintenance related to automotive, light, and heavy construction equipment;
- Operational characteristics, operation, and care of hydraulic systems and internal combustion engines;
- Operation of and maintenance requirements of heavy trucks and other equipment used to perform essential job functions;
- Traffic laws, ordinances, and rules for operation of equipment and vehicles used in the performance of essential job functions;
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the job;
- Perform various manual tasks for extended periods of time and in unfavorable weather conditions;
- Perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled vehicle & equipment repair and maintenance tasks;
- Accurately determine mechanical repair needs and estimate the cost and time required for repairs;
- Read and understand manuals, schematics, and specifications;
- Perform heavy manual labor, including lifting and carrying materials and equipment;
- Maintain a safe driving record;
- Operate equipment required to perform essential job functions;
- Work independently in the absence of supervision;
- Work in a safety-conscious environment and to follow & promote good safety practices;
- Learn, understand, and apply pertinent laws, rules, and regulations;
- Understand and follow verbal and written instructions;
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Work hours other than Monday-Friday 8am-5pm and overtime as required and/or as-needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for:
- Making observations, operating assigned equipment, and communicating with others;
- Employee must have visual abilities including close vision, distance vision, depth perception, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Effectively handle a work environment and conditions which involve:
- Working in high places, Exposure to loud noise, Exposure to various weather conditions,
- Working closely with others, Traveling from site to site, Working outside normal business hours and in hours of darkness; Exposure to dust, dirt, fumes, and airborne particles, Exposure to moving mechanical parts, Exposure to electrical hazards; Working in or near water including creeks and ditches.
- Maintain physical condition needed to accomplish the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities, which may include:
- Walking, sitting or standing for long periods of time, Lifting and carrying heavy materials, Climbing, Performing heavy manual labor, Operating assigned equipment and vehicles; Crawling, Working on uneven and/or slippery surfaces.
- Maintain mental capacity sufficient to accomplish the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities, which may include: Interpreting schematics, specifications, blueprints, and other materials related to the performance of essential job functions; effective interaction and communication with others; Making sound decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
Experience, Education, and Licensing
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Minimum of (2) years’ experience operating a commercial truck, performing roadway construction and maintenance work involving the operation of construction equipment and maintenance tools.
High School diploma, or its equivalent.
Possession of a valid Texas driver’s license. Must possess or be able to obtain a Texas Commercial Driver’s License (TEXAS CDL) operator’s license within 90 days.
Formal application; rating of education and experience; oral interview; reference and other background checks; job-related tests may be required.
*** This position is subject to random and/or reasonable suspicion and/or post-accident testing for drugs and alcohol.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change. The employee further understands, and accepts, that this position falls under the provision of an “At Will” employment, and under no circumstances is a contract for employment.